Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Salt Springs Ocala National Forest



Salt Springs

A two hour drive from Crystal River brought us here to Salt Springs. I have mixed feelings about it. The campground is disappointing. I would have to say beware of "Elite Resorts." They look much better on line than in reality. Rock Crusher got rid of them and the locals we talked to here don't like them either. What Elite does is try to sell RV sites and the result is a mish-mash of sites. I would NOT want to live here every winter but there are great features. Lake Kerr is beautiful with amazing sunsets. Boating is fun there but an airboat (gator boat) is allowed to make unreasonable noise and fumes eliminating the peace of the kayaking.
















I must say the area is beautiful and remindful of northern Ontario in its remote-ness. Hunters and fishermen abound. Today we kayaked out of the marina down River from the Salt Spring to Lake George. Two gators were sited, one had it's back up so we turned back early. Whimp! We were amazed to see BOW FISHING! Yup, they were shooting talapia and mullet with a bow! I thought that would ruin the fish but apparently not and I have to admit I didn't see them hit a target. We saw some some manatee and spoke to a woman who was snorkelling and collecting data on them. I was so nervous about the gators that we turned back. We went out on Lake Kerr this afternoon and had a great paddle, feeling safe. I think my biceps are straining from loading and unloading the Yaks so many times in the last while!











St. Augustine
We drove one hour yesterday to St. Augustine to tour this historic town, the oldest in the USA. I have always wanted to go here but was disappointed. The old town is impressive but there is too much "carny" stuff (thanks Jackie) in between and we had a bit of a bad day for reasons unexplained here. Not to discourage any of you from going there but be sure to get into tourist mode and take it all with a grain of salt. The historic aspect is great but you have to sort through some junk to get to it! My advice is to go to the fort and "old town" first. Avoid the rest.














On the way home we stopped for gas in the town of Pilatka, the closest place to get groceries from our remote park location. Yikes!! The fuel was the cheapest we had seen but there was a lot "happenin" and the music was reverberating and the sales were "happenin" from the trunks of cars. The pants were not coverin' the butts at all. I was on full alert, shamefully so since I was able to translate a conversation about meetin" for "blue crab suppuh on Sat-uh-day". Innocent.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.