Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Not for wimps


December 7th to 16th

(You can click on pictures to enlarge them)

The pre-amble to Christmas in the South is very similar to what it is in the North! Fir trees, poinsettias, twinkling lights, Santas, snowmen decorations and nativity scenes abound. When I am in a store it looks and feels like I am at home in Ontario. But, when I walk outside and am hit with the heat and sunshine I feel a bit disoriented! You can see my attempts to make it "Christmasy". I think it's working!

We did some geo-caching this week with Ron and Mary from Southampton. They have wanted to try it for some time and when they found out we’ve done it we made plans together. We went over to Circle B Ranch (Polk County Nature Preserve that used to be a cattle ranch but is being restored to Wetlands) and found a dozen caches. They were mostly along the paths. You wouldn’t want to wander far off the path in there considering all the critters that are around! Many were on the path called Gator Alley.

We did have to go off the path to find one in a forested area and a huge spider landed on Ron. John knocked it off him with his binoculars but that was enough to send me back to path. Once I got there I noticed big spider on my arm…all fuzzy and as big as a twooney! I swatted it off and had a hissy fit…screaming and jumping around. I even got goose bumps. I felt like Little Miss Muffet! Most embarrassing and of course now everyone knows the spider story. Ron was really good at spotting the huge webs which were up in the trees. I zoomed in and got a picture of this one. I was glad we were not close to it but of course that was before one landed on me!

John and I were on the nature trails around Sanlan and went to look in this “Gator Hole.” Wow! There was a huge mother alligator with 7 babies! My heart pounded as I got as close as I could and zoomed in for a picture. These babies were likely born in the summer and they will stay with the mother for 5 months. I still can’t get over the sight of it.







At dusk we are chased inside by swarms of mosquitoes. They don’t last long but unless you are in a screened tent it is difficult to stay outside.

Retirement is not for wimps!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.