Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mines and Missiles

What an amazing day of mines and missiles!  John had been threatening me with this since we got to AZ and today was the day; a testosterone day.  Of course as you know we ALL have testosterone so even I was interested once I got there.


The humungous copper pit mines are evident from Tuscon to Tubac and we have been curious about it, about it's impact and history.  We went on a tour today starting at the Asarco Mineral Discovery Centre, travelling to the rim of the pit and walking into a viewing area of the process.  It was complicated but I learned lots and really enjoyed it!


One of the best parts was learning about the impact on the environment.  We had visions of tailing ponds spilling out and destroying Green Valley!  Remember Hungary?  Well I feel reassured.  I was amazed at the re-habilitation of the land that is going on when a mine runs out.  Cattle are involved for heaven's sake!  That explains a lot!  Herds are brought in when a tailing pond is being re-vitalized.  Their hooves help to break up hay and disperse seeds and aerate the soil, their pies fertilize and they actually kick start the growing of grasses and natural desert vegetation  in a depleted area.



There was an amazing cactus garden outside the visitor centre.  As the tailing ponds expand the natural vegetation is moved and I know this garden is one result.  Another benefit is the lining of Arizona roads with this vegetation removed carefully by landscapers.  The relationship of mining to Arizona has gone on for a long time and we have seen evidence of it everywhere.  Now we have a better understanding of this mutually beneficial relationship.  Employment and prosperity for people of Arizona is hard to deny.  Of course we got the "party line" today.  I am sure there is another side.



After the Asarco Mine Tour we drove down the road to the Titan 2 Missile Museum. GRRRRR! This was the largest missile ever built in the U.S. and at the height of the cold war there were multiple Titan sites in Kansas, Arkansas and Arizona. The reason for the concentration of missiles in these areas is "classified". Ha! Likely having to do with the politicians in power in those states at the time and perhaps the lack of population density? Expendables? Okay, I will try not to be cynical. MAD!! (Mutual Assured Destruction) All the Titan sites have been destroyed except this one. It is now a museum run mostly by volunteers. And it is a well preserved site. Going down to the control room and viewing this impressive missile in it's silo was fascinating. I think John thought he was back at work!




 I gave John the camera since I figured he would know what was important to photograph but he was so busy listening and imagining working down here that he didn't take any pictures!  The rattlesnake signs were real.

Apparently snakes would surprise the 4 workers who manned the site on 24 hour shifts as they entered different areas.


The buildings, even underground were on springs to withstand any seismic action that may occur.  That may also be a reason why sites were placed here...not much seismic action.  It reminded me of a submarine.  How would I know this?  I have toured an old sub in Pittsburgh.

1 comment:

Freda said...

I'm glad the world has moved on from the Cold War, but I guess that things are always hard. The next hundred or so years are set to be bad for terrorism. Sorry to be so dark! I love the pics, it is a fantastic area to visit.

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.