Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Tin Cup" Tubac Golf Resort

Imagine how thrilled we were to find out we were next door to the Golf Course where Kevin Costner shot a ball through the bar and emptied his bag of golf balls into a pond!  Well I was thrilled about the Kevin Costner part and John was thrilled to play the course.  Of course he does like Rene Russeau.





John and I both parred the famous hole.  The pond is not as big as it looked on screen but the golf course is just as beautiful.  Parring the 2nd hardest hole made us proud.   I won't talk about the rest of my game.  The company was good; we met a couple who are  building a house in Tubac and they are staying in an RV in the meantime next to us here at de Anza Trails.


Tubac Golf Resort is on the grounds of an historical ranch and I think some of the buildings are original to the ranch.  We were pretty surprised to see cattle grazing on the fairway of the 9th hole of one of the nines!


Actually, when we finished the "Rancho" nine one cattle beast was in the bunker and had to be corralled by one of the starters.  Despite cattle guards this beast had gotten into the wrong area.  I am surprised though to see the cattle on the course.  It is pretty unique and maintains the historic ranch flavour.  I could hardly putt I was so distracted by the fellow trying to chase a heiffer away from the green.  By the way, this is not a "cow pasture" course at all!

The course was beautiful.  I know you are sick of hearing it but the mountain views were amazing.  I am getting used to "Elephant Rock" and have now seen it from all angles.  I will really miss it when we leave here.








There were many mesquite trees but they looked different from others we have seen.  I think they were older.  They branch out in a way similar to live oaks we have seen in Georgia and Florida but are shorter.  Our playing partner from Texas said they cut them down for fire wood but here she was amused to see people used them for landscaping.  Different strokes.


The course was tough!  The last 3 holes of Rancho are called the "Tubac Triangle."  A charity tournament was played here in the last couple of days and the pin placements were unreal.  The tees were also back as far as they could go.  We got our money's worth!
Strange!  Now I can't turn this around! 

We have played 3 courses around here so far and they are all great.  Canoa Ranch GC at Green Valley (10 miles north of here) was what I would call a "desert" course where you have to hit the green target over the desert.  The mountain views in the background are....well you know!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.