Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Chickadee-dee-dee


  We left the land of endless sun and encountered endless clouds and lots of snow.  But I am enjoying this forage into winter wonderland.  I have never seen our "new" house in the snow and of course the main wonder is visiting with family and friends.  There are not many people around in our housing community but town is busy.  John got some lights up and I decked the halls in preparation for company and just to enjoy the comfort of being inside when it is cold out!  And then there is the joy of winter hats.






We went for a ski in the bush behind here with Sandy and Richard and they showed us the chickadee feeding grounds.  Over the years many people have gone to feed them and they are accustomed to it.  They land on your seed filled hand!  If you have never experienced this you have to get yourself somewhere to try it.  I love the feeling of the fragile and beautiful little creature on my hand.  Tiny, prickly feet, sharp beak and such a slight weight.  The colour of the feathers up close is incredible.  A few years ago on a winter trip up to Wye Marsh (Midland) we experienced this.  But now it is available in my own backyard!




Despite piles of snow the weather has been fairly benign and the roads remain open.  It's looking promising for returning to Arizona.  Christmas is going to be a whirlwind of dinners and visits but I am very happy to be here.

1 comment:

Freda said...

Wonderfully snowy landscape - and I think we are doing badly for weather! Happy Christmas. Love F

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.