Monday, March 14, 2011

California Desert

California here we come!  We crossed the Colorado River from Parker AZ and drove into California.  The state line sign was a lunch bag let down.  The sign to Kincardine is more impressive.  
We travelled across the Mojave Desert.  I thought I had seen desert in Arizona but this was one of the most deserted stretches of landscape I have ever seen.  Of course there were the ever present mountains in the distance but there was absolutely nothing for miles.  Good thing we had a full tank of very expensive fuel.  
After a while I thought I was seeing snow.  A mirage?  After examining the map I realized it was one of 2 or 3 dry lakes.  I guess in the old days, billions of years ago, this was an ocean and the lakes left are now dry salt flats?  Will have to do some reseach on this desert.   
Another interesting phenomenon is what John called Desert Graffiti.  Train tracks were along side the road for many miles and I started seeing words!  Lots of them.  Another mirage?  People had made words and slogans out of stones along the slope of the train track.  It was amazing.  I can’t even imagine people being out in this no man’s land long enough to do this!  Obviously we were missing something.  Maybe by ATV?
It was an amazing transition to snow topped mountains, green hills and then the Pacific Ocean.  Nothing like experiencing all seasons in one day.  
Yo! 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.