Sunday, March 27, 2011

Zion National Park, Utah

The drive from North Las Vegas to Utah was interesting.  Most of the routes we have been taking are through areas  low in population but high in spectacular views.  Rocks and cliffs and formations are surprisingly beautiful at every turn.

Zion has a canyon of sheer cliffs and colourful rocks formed by years of geological events.  We did a quick detour on our way from Las Vegas.  A scenic drive deep into the canyon was amazing.  I was a bit jealous of the hikers and campers since we were only spending a couple of hours.  Actually it was too cool for camping so my jealousy was short lived.

This canyon is the result of water erosion by the Virgin River and many complex events over millions of years.  The results are awe inspiring.  I can't believe how many incredible formations we have seen since crossing the Mississippi back in October!  Every time I think I have seen it all something else overwhelms me.  It's as if the earths crust has been exposed for our viewing.

We drove out of Zion Park toward Bryce Canyon which seemed like separate events to me.  In reality, the geological formations are connected in ways I can't even begin to describe here.  We had to drive through a mile long tunnel and thank goodness we asked ahead of time about it.  We would have scraped the mirrors or another vehicle if we hadn't been told to fold them in.  Yikes!  And no lights in this tunnel.

More spectacular rocks and cliffs! 





2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're hitting all of our "bucket list" destinations! Safe travels!

Freda said...

Everywhere looks so huge! Fantastic photographs. You are doing my travelling for me. Love Freda

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.