Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Greatest Game Ever Played

If you love golf and you have not seen this movie it is worth a look; again.  I have seen it a couple of times, maybe even three and want to see it again.  Lately we have also watched "Tin Cup" and "Bagger Vance" and have read a couple of golf books such as " The Match."  I know this may seem over the top but  kindred golf spirits (Brooks and Lou) have re-"kindled" our interest.  Lou lent us her movies and books while they were away and we have enjoyed "The Journey".

Recently John and I went on our own and played the "Forty-Niners" course in Tucson north east of here.  It is an older course with great mountain views and lots of old mesquites.  They have wandering branches that get in the way reminding me of live oaks in Florida.  (There are live oaks here too.  I didn't realize there were so many kinds of live oaks!)

We were paired with an older couple from Arkansas who are renting a place in Sabino Canyon near here.    Concentration and patience are important attributes that can help your golf game and today these were truly tested.  L and J were so genteel and we were not worried about how they played.  But once we got going we soon realized that there was something not quite right about L.  At first I thought she was blind, then I thought Alzheimers or stroke, but I knew there was something.  It was one of the most unusual situations and like nothing we had encountered before while golfing; and we have played with many different kinds of people at many different levels over the years.  After a while J took us aside and explained that his wife had a temporal lobe problem and was dying.  He said he appreciated our kindness.

I have been thinking about that.  It was a beautiful sunny day and she was a beautiful sunny person.  She was so polite, so well dressed, so involved and enjoying the game in a way that seemed surreal.   I can hardly believe it in hindsight.  J took her out to enjoy life and to feel like she was really doing it.  Sadly she was not.  Or was she?  L asked me some questions during the round which indicated that she was very much engaged in the game.  After the front nine I met her in the washroom and she did not remember me even though we had said goodbye only moments ago.  John and I were feeling a bit guilty that we were thankful that they only played the first nine.  We finished the second nine on our own.  Neither of us regained a rhythm.  At least not for golf.  I did gain a rhythm about another aspect of life.  Just living.

Giant Prickly Pear Cactus at Forty-Niner

A Patient Man


A few days later we met Brooks and Lou at a course west of here called Quarry Pines.  Those of you familiar with golf will appreciate the name.  This is one the most interesting courses I have ever played.  I enjoyed the front nine but can hardly remember it because the back nine jumped out!  It was laid out in a quarry and the holes were so precariously placed among sandy cliffs that were once too ugly to entertain.  But someone had a marvellous idea.  I know the pictures do not do it justice but maybe you will get an inkling.  It was wonderful meeting up with our "de Anza" friends again and we enjoyed not only the golf but a great dinner and chin wag at the Olive Garden.  

Just a teaser

And the fairway is where?

Beep Beep

No way!

What hole are we on?

Friends

Stunning backdrop




2 comments:

Freda said...

A lesson in enjoying each day as it comes. Looks beautiful and I love the road-runner..... at least I think that is what the bird is called. It looks like an elongated pheasant. Come to think of it they skuttle along tracks as well.

Wally said...

It's a roadrunner and the way they move is fascinating. I was able to get a close up because the poor thing was hungry. At this time of year food is scarce and they are smart enough to know that golfers leave tidbits. Actually they wait for you to throw them scraps!

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.