Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Project


I really enjoyed my first attempt at stained glass.  And here it is!  There were 7 of us in the class; 4 men and 3 woman.  We all made the same project, specially prepared and designed by our excellent instructors; Cleatus and Sally.  Both of them are accomplished stained glass artists and at least 20 years older than I am but with steadier hands.  Being a teacher and having a good understanding of how difficult it can be to teach people how to do something, I was very impressed with how well each step in this process was presented.  I am so confident that I now have a larger project in mind and am enthusiastic about getting going on it.  Now that we have decided to stay here for the month of February I have lots of time to make it.  Since taking the beginner class I now have full use of the stained glass shop and access to the materials I will need at a very reasonable cost.

I discovered I am a closet "shop girl."  And I do not mean "shopping girl".  I loved using the glass grinder and the soldering thing.  All the tools were fun to use and I was amazed at how easy it is to cut glass when you have the right equipment.  Talk about flow!  Time lost it's meaning while occupied in this project.  A great feeling.  Whoohoo!

2 comments:

Freda said...

Sounds a wonderful new hobby. Maybe you'll go on to design unique gifts for family and friends. (Don't worry, it's not a hint, the glass wouldn't travel anyway!) Enjoy yourself. Oh yes - the finished article is brilliant.

Wally said...

Thanks! Family and friends don't get too excited but you never know. I am designing a new project...a sign for the RV. Getting a pattern together is the first step and more complicated than I thought.

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.