Friday, October 22, 2010

Bell Rock and Court House Butte Hike

Bell Rock...just the top.  We hiked in overcast conditions today.  What's with that?  I thought it never rained in AZ!  We hiked for 3 hours around Bell Rock and Courthouse Rock only 20 minutes from Drumstick.  Hee hee!  I mean Distant Drums.  I called our campground Drumstick today! 
Courthouse Butte...almost as imposing as Cathedral Rock, fun to hike around.

We could see Cathedral Rock in the background. Little did I know I would be challenged again to climb beyond my brain!  The new hiking shoes helped.  So did the rain.  We didn't have time to get to the top of Bell Rock. 




We think this is a tarantula!  It was about an inch at least, maybe closer to 2 inches!  It is smaller than the squished tarantula I saw in an overnight campgound in New Mexico.  John prevented me from taking a picture of that squished one...humungous squished so I can't imagine what it looked like when it was alive.  Anyway, this guy was scary enough!

The vortex!  Well, I am trying to catch the flow here.  I must say the hikes on the red rocks are invigorating and joyful.  If that is the vortex, bring it on!
Got some new hiking shoes!  Keens...kind of ugly but nice on the FUA's!


1 comment:

Freda said...

What an amazing day and what an awesome spider. I love the colours - it is great to join in the hike. I had previously thought of AZ as being flat and desert everywhere. Too many old movies I guess. Keep enjoying your trip. Every Blessing

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.