Tuesday, October 12, 2010

First Glimpse of the Grand Canyon






I think I may have embedded a slide show! This is not as exciting as the Grand Canyon believe me but let me have my moment.

Today we drove from Flagstaff to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Don't let anyone tell you once you have seen one canyon you have seen them all. We have seen a few canyons in the last few days including Canyon de Chelly (de shay) which was amazing. But this Mother of all Canyons is incredible and today we only saw a small portion of it!
We drove about 30 miles from the East Gate to the Visitors Centre at the Canyon Village. There were many scenic over looks along the way and I could not get enough of it. You could stare at one view for ages and not see it all. There are so many layers and colours and the depth is hard to fathom. Ha! Fathom! The river below looks like a piece of ribbon if you can even see it!
From the Visitor Centre we took a 2 and 1/2 mile walk (for wimps) along the rim. This walk was graded as easiest but believe me you have to have fortitude to get close to the low walls or no walls in spots. Some people and even their children!!! were going past the barriers to the edge. We saw some crazy people climbing down. I am seeing a side of John I have never seen. This is exciting in itself. He is not afraid of heights but is afraid of no railings! I was under strict orders to stay on the path. I did manage to get out on a couple of outcroppings. But I have to admit, I had no desire to stray too far. One or two people a year do fall in!

Here we are in the Watch Tower which is beautifully adorned with Navajo paintings. The influence of various Indian Tribes is prevalent here in Arizona and of course much of the land we have traversed is theirs. It is okay to call them Indians...they even seem proud of it. But I have not been here long enough to know the protocol for sure. I do know that the Navajo I have spoken too are very polite, kind and educated. Their works are sold everywhere and their culture mysteriously waiting to be explored. John is striking a great pose don't you think?








Oh, we stopped at saw the National Geographic Imax of the Canyon on the way home. WOW!! I think I have changed my mind about the white water rafting part of the trip we thought we might take. One rafting accident in a lifetime is enough and some of you know I have been in other "extreme" type accidents. But we are looking at another adventure and it will be just as exciting. Besides, I would rather spend my time absorbing the Canyon than hanging on for dear life!

Wildlife in the Canyon not only includes humans. We saw a female elk? I think that is what this is since elk warning signs were around but they all had antlers and this doesn't. Take a close look at the brown furry critter sitting casually on a branch. The picture doesn't do it justice but this squirrel is perched out over the canyon looking very relaxed. Just another day in the life.









We ate lunch at the Bright Angel a lovely watering hole after a long walk along the edge.

On the way out we were asked to take a picture of a couple and then of course they returned the favour for us.

1 comment:

Ken and Linda said...

Hey, nice slideshow!! Good job!

About Me

My photo
Home is where you are.